How do I create Automated Rules for Cases?
Automation, especially when it comes to Cases, is a great way to ensure that Cases are routed properly to the best teams and quickly. By creating Automated Rules for Cases in Sprout, you can automatically update Case attributes, perform a Message Action and send notifications to the appropriate teams. Creating Automated Rules saves your teams’ time and enables them to get to the most important customer interactions first.
Automated Rule Example
A great way to incorporate Automated Rules into your Cases workflow is to create a rule that automatically reopens Cases in the On Hold status when a new message is received. This ensures your Care agents can more effectively triage which Cases need attention, rather than manually combing through all their On Hold cases.
For this rule, choose is for profile(s) and then select Any profile. Then, in the Take these actions section, select Update Case Attribute(s), select Status and then select Open. Now any On Hold Cases that receive a new message automatically update to Open, letting your Agents know that action is required.
Other use cases for Automated Rules you might consider are:
- Empowering your Care Team to know which Cases to work on next. As a best practice, have your Care Team use the On Hold Case Status and create an Automated Rule that updates the Case Status to Open when new messages come in.
- Streamlining your Customer Case View pipeline. Use Automated Rules to apply Tags to Cases or update Case Attributes that align with the filters you set up for a Custom Case View.
- Escalating Cases to the best team or individual for the Case. If a Case has a new message come in with a specific word or phrase, create a rule to reassign the Case to a specific Team or individual. You can also send an email to additional Sprout users that need to be notified.
- Decluttering the Smart Inbox. Create a rule to automatically complete messages so Case-related messages don't appear in the Smart Inbox.
How do I create my Automated Rules?
Before you create your Automated Rules for Cases, make sure that you have the Manage Profiles Company Permission, the Manage Advanced Inbox Features and Manage Cases feature permissions to set up the rule.
Note: If you don't have the Manage Cases permission, you can't create or edit an Automated Rule for Cases. Remember to check your permissions in your settings and reach out to your Account Owner if you need additional permissions.
To create an Automated Rule for Cases:
- Navigate to your name > Settings.
- Click Automated Rules under Global Features.
- Click Create new rule.
- Enter a title for the rule and a description of what the rule does.
- Select Cases for the Rule Type.
- Decide the criteria you want the message of the Case to meet for the rule you're setting up. You can decide whether a message:
- is for selected profiles
- is from selected Brand Keywords
- has certain words or phrases
- does not have certain words or phrases
- is from a member of a selected VIP list
- is in specific languages
- only contains a certain content type (URLs, Images, or Emojis)
- has a specific sentiment
- is from a verified X profile or Facebook users that are Pages
- is from a X user with a specific follower count or Facebook Pages
- has or any combination of these criteria the above
Choose the action you want to happen when a Case meets the criteria you chose. Choose from:
- Apply a specific Tag
- Automatically Complete the message
- Update specific Case Attributes like Team, Assignee, Status, Priority, Type and Tags
- Send an email notification to a certain user
- Message Actions
- Click Save. A preview of your rule appears.
- Click Got it!
You can configure or delete your Automated Rules for Cases and turn them on or off by returning to Global Settings.