Converting and Reconnecting Instagram Business Profiles
This article will discuss how to convert your Instagram profile to an Instagram Business Profile, as well as how to connect it to Sprout Social.
Note: This will be a complicated process, but hang in there. You will need to take action on Instagram as well as in Sprout. Every step in this guide needs to be successfully completed in order for you to receive Instagram messages.
Convert to an Instagram Business Profile in the Instagram Application
Before performing any of the steps below, ensure you are already logged into the Facebook account that has admin access to the Facebook Page you plan to associate with your Instagram Business Profile.
- Go to your profile and tap the gear settings icon.
- Tap Switch to Business Profile.
- Select the Facebook Page you'd like to connect to your new Instagram Business Profile. You might also have the option to tap Create a Page and create a new Facebook Page to associate with Instagram.
- Fill out your contact details. You'll need to provide at least one method of contact.
- Tap Done. You're all set!
Note: You need admin access to a Facebook Page in order to associate it with an Instagram Business Profile. Instagram provides a video walkthrough that shows you this process step-by-step.
Connect an Instagram Business Profile in the Sprout Application
This is the most important step in the process. Once you have successfully finished converting your profile in Instagram, you need to go to the Sprout Social application to connect your Instagram Profile in Sprout as a Business Profile Add-On.
- In Sprout, click in the upper-right corner to connect a profile. You must have admin access to the Facebook Page associated with the Instagram Business Profile.
- Click Instagram, then select Instagram Business Profile, not the box that says Profile.
- On the next page, click Go to Facebook.
- After being transferred to Facebook, allow Facebook to connect your profile by clicking OK. You will be taken back to Sprout, where you can select the Business Profile(s) to connect.
Note: In order to successfully connect an Instagram Business Profile add-on to Sprout, you must be in a group which contains the Instagram profile that you want converted.
Confirm Instagram Business Profile is connected in Sprout Social
There are two ways to confirm an Instagram Business Profile has been correctly connected to Sprout.
- First, go to Settings > Users & Social Profiles and find your Instagram profiles listed under All Profiles. Any profiles that have successfully been connected as business profiles will list “Instagram Business Profile” next to the profile name.
2. The second way to determine successfully connection is by opening Compose and selecting an Instagram Business Profile from the dropdown menu. The Choose Publisher icon () will be grayed out, meaning that choosing a publisher is not required.
You can still choose to publish through the Instagram Scheduling workflow by clicking that icon and choosing a publisher.
Troubleshooting Connection Settings
1. Is Your Instagram Converted to a Business Profile?
You should first verify that your profile is a Business Profile on Instagram. You can confirm this in the Instagram mobile application by going to your profile and tapping Edit Profile. Business Profiles will have a section titled Business Information.
2. Is Your Instagram Connected to the Correct Facebook Page?
For this setting, you must check the Instagram mobile application again. While the setting may show as connected on Facebook, you should verify the connection from Instagram’s end as well.
To do this, go to your profile again and tap Edit Profile. Tap the name of the connected Facebook Page in the Business Information section. Confirm that a shows next to the correct Facebook Page.
If the Page appears to have the correct name, but no profile photo, the connected Page is most likely one that Instagram created when you converted to a Business Profile. To resolve this, simply tap on the Page that includes your profile photo - after this step, the should now show next to the correct Page.
If the correct Facebook Page is not showing at all, using Facebook's mobile application, log into the Facebook Page to which you have admin access. If this process still does not show the correct Page, you’ll need to continue to the next step to check whether you have the correct admin access on the desired Facebook Page.
3. Do You Have Admin Status on the Facebook Page?
In order to connect an Instagram Business Profile or a Facebook Page to Sprout, you need admin status. To check this, you can go to the associated Facebook Page and select Settings. Next, select Page Roles.
Your role must be displayed as Admin here, not Editor or Analyst. If you don’t see Admin status, you’ll need to contact an admin or the Page Owner for help.
4. Do You Have Admin Status in Business Manager?
If your Page is set up through Facebook Business Manager, you need a separate setting from the Page that allows admin access to the entire Business Manager account.
You can confirm that you have Admin status in Business Manager. Verify that your profile reads "Role: Admin" in Business Manager by going to the People section of your Business Manager settings.
Note: Permission settings in Business Manager are separate from permissions in a Facebook Page. You should confirm that you have Admin status in the Business Manager that controls your target Page.
5. Is Your Facebook Business Integration Set Up for this Profile?
If you have the necessary Page and Business Manager permissions for the associated Facebook Page, you’ll want to check your Facebook Business Integration settings. To update the setting and allow Sprout access to your Instagram Business Profile, remove Sprout Social’s integration from Facebook.
This will not delete your profiles from Sprout, though it will require them to be reauthorized. Please do not check the Also delete all posts, photos and videos on Facebook that Sprout Social may have published on your behalf box, as this will delete any prior posts.
Go back to your Sprout account and follow the steps to update your Instagram Business Profile, which should now be showing as an option to connect. This will reauthorize Sprout Social so that you can post to Facebook and Instagram across all of your profiles. If you see in the top left corner of your screen in Sprout, please click on the icon to reconnect your profiles and Pages. Otherwise, your Instagram profile should now be connected as a business in Sprout!
If you have checked these settings and are still experiencing difficulties with connecting your profiles, please contact our Support Team.