Converting and Reconnecting Instagram Business Profiles
This article will discuss how to convert your Instagram profile to an Instagram Business Profile, as well as how to connect it to Sprout Social.
Note: This will be a complicated process, but hang in there. You will need to take action on Instagram as well as in Sprout. Every step in this guide needs to be successfully completed in order for you to receive Instagram messages.
Convert to an Instagram Business Profile in the Instagram Application
Before performing any of the steps below, ensure you are already logged into the Facebook account that has admin access to the Facebook Page you plan to associate with your Instagram Business Profile.
- Using the Instagram mobile application, go to your profile and tap the at the upper-right corner of the display.
- Tap to visit Settings.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Switch to Professional Account.
- Select Business, in the Which Best Describes You modal.
- Make the category selection for your profile.
- Fill out your contact details.
- Select the Facebook Page you'd like to connect to your new Instagram Business Profile. You might also have the option to Create a New Facebook Page. You must connect a Facebook Page to your Instagram Business Profile in order to connect it to Sprout.
- You're all set!
Note: You need admin access to a Facebook Page in order to associate it with an Instagram Business Profile.
Connect an Instagram Business Profile in the Sprout Application
Once you have successfully finished converting your profile in Instagram, you need to go to Sprout Social to connect your Instagram Profile in Sprout as a Business Profile. There is one flow for this process, whether you are connecting a Business Profile for the first time or it was previously connected to Sprout as a Personal Profile.
- In Sprout, navigate to Account and settings > Connect a Profile. You must have Admin or Editor access to the Facebook Page associated with the Instagram Business Profile.
- Click Instagram, then select Business Profile.
- Confirm that you have completed the steps for converting your Instagram account to a Business Profile. If you have completed these steps, select Yes, all set.
- On the next page, click Go to Facebook.
- Select the Instagram Business Profiles that you want to add to your Sprout account and then click Next.
- Assuming you are authenticated for the profile you want to connect, your profile will be added and you'll be returned to the Manage Profile modal in Sprout to complete the process. Once you've selected the desired options in this modal, select Done.
Note: In order to successfully connect an Instagram Business Profile that was previously connected to Sprout as a Personal Profile, you must be in a group which contains the Instagram profile that you want reconnected.
Confirm Instagram Business Profile is connected in Sprout Social
There are two ways to confirm an Instagram Business Profile has been correctly connected to Sprout.
- First, go to Account and settings > Settings > Users & Social Profiles and find your Instagram profiles listed under All Profiles. Any profiles that have successfully been connected as business profiles will list “Instagram Business Profile” next to the profile name.
2. The second way to determine successful connection is by opening Compose and selecting an Instagram Business Profile from the dropdown menu. The Choose Publisher icon () will be grayed out, meaning that choosing a publisher is not required.
You can still choose to publish through the Instagram Scheduling workflow by clicking that icon and choosing a publisher.