How do I use Automated Feed Publishing on a Standard Sprout account?
Note: This article applies to Standard Plans ONLY. If you're on the Advanced Plan or higher, refer to this article instead
Originally, you had limited options when it came to choosing your posting settings for RSS Feeds. Now, you can manage your RSS Feeds directly in your Sprout settings with more granularity and control so you share only the most relevant content to your X, Facebook Business and LinkedIn Business profiles.
If you currently use Post via RSS and have feeds set up, your existing feeds will populate in the Settings section under Automated Feed Publishing. From there, you can assign a name to your existing feeds and edit.
You can create up to five RSS or Atom feeds per Group to publish from. It’s important to note that if you append any text to the start or end of an RSS post, and the post goes past the character limit, the extra characters are replaced with an ellipsis.
How do I create a new RSS Feed?
To create a new RSS Feed in Sprout:
- Navigate to your name in the lower left corner > Settings.
Click Automated Feed Publishing under Publishing in the left navigation.
- Note: You must have Publishing permission for the Twitter profiles you want to share to, along with the Feeds feature permission.
- Click +Add RSS Feed. The Add RSS Feed popup appears.
- Enter a descriptive Feed Name.
Set the following Source options:
- RSS Feed URL - copy and paste the URL of the RSS Feed you want to use.
Check for new items - select how often you’d like Sprout to check for new items. Choose from:
- Every hour
- Every 4 hours
- Every 8 hours
- Every 12 hours
- Every 24 hours
- Max new items retrieved per check - automatically retrieves one item per check. Advanced Plan users can select up to five new items retrieved per check starting at 15 minute intervals. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more details about upgrading.
Set the following Destination options:
Choose a publishing action - select the publishing action you want to take when Sprout locates new items in the RSS Feed. Choose from:
- Publish posts immediately
- Create scheduled posts
- Create Drafts
- (Optional) If you choose to create scheduled posts or Drafts, you must also specify when posts are scheduled or if you want to create Drafts for a specific time.
- Choose a profile - select one of your connected Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn profiles.
- Choose a publishing action - select the publishing action you want to take when Sprout locates new items in the RSS Feed. Choose from:
(Optional) Set the following Post Formatting options:
- Add text to start of post - enter any text you want to appear at the beginning of an RSS post.
- Add text to end of post - enter any text you want to appear at the end of an RSS post.
(Optional) Set the following Sprout options:
- Attribute posts to - select a user from the dropdown if you want RSS posts to show as attributed to a specific Sprout user.
- Labels - apply any Label tags to the RSS posts.
- Campaigns - apply any associated Campaign tags to the RSS posts.
- Click Save and activate.
How can I edit, duplicate or delete an RSS Feed?
To edit, duplicate or delete an RSS Feed:
- Expand the Actions menu by clicking the three dot icon in the actions column.
- Click Edit to open the RSS Feed popup and make any edits.
- Click Duplicate to make an exact copy of the RSS Feed you selected.
- Click Delete to remove the RSS Feed.
At any time you can Enable or Disable an RSS Feed from posting using the Enabled toggle.