If you need to change the account owner for your Sprout account, please follow the steps below.
These steps will only work if the Current Owner and the New Owner can BOTH log into Sprout. For example, your business signs up for a trial and needs to update the owner information when they purchase or subscribe to Sprout. This will not work for situations where the Current Owner has left the company - your internal IT team should obtain the Current Owner's login credentials first in that case before proceeding.
STEP-BY-STEP PROCESS: EXAMPLE SCENARIO
Following this process will keep all current work intact - tasks, queue, and scheduled messages will send as normal.
Jennifer is a community manager at Cafe Sprout and signs up for a trial with Sprout. At the end of the trial, Jennifer's boss, Terra, asks her to go ahead and purchase. But, Jennifer needs to make Terra the Account Owner because only the Account Owner is able to enter payment and manage billing.
Current Owner Email = firstname.lastname@example.org
New Owner Email = email@example.com
Limitations to consider:
- We are not able to change historical data that used to be associated with the old setup (e.g. task assignment, scheduled message attribution, engagement metrics, etc). That data will adjust over time as the new users start to take actions within Sprout.
- Tasks and the other features attributed to certain team members will continue to display those old names for any past items. Going forward, the new user names will be attributed to new tasks, scheduled messages, reporting, engagement, etc.
1. Terra, the new owner, needs to change her email address to something other than her current login name.
- She heads into Settings > Personal Settings and changes her email to firstname.lastname@example.org, for example.
- Terra then removes any personal profiles from Personal Mode.
- This is just a temporary change so that we can use the email@example.com login when assigning the owner in the next step.
2. Jennifer, the current account owner, needs to change her user email to Terra's, so she can make her the new owner.
- Jennifer changes her user email in Settings > Personal Settings to the new account owner email, firstname.lastname@example.org. Terra is now the account owner.
- Jennifer removes any of her personal profiles from Personal Mode.
- Jennifer then logs out of the application.
3. Terra now has to update the email on her old user account to Jennifer's email so that Jennifer is added back as a user.
- Terra logs in as email@example.com and changes her user email in Settings > Personal Settings to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Terra then logs out of the email@example.com account.
4. Now, both Jennifer (user) and Terra (account owner) can request a password change here to access Sprout.
5. Terra, as the new account owner, can modify Jennifer's app permissions in Settings > Users & Social Profiles, then select the user from the Your Team column.
Still Having trouble?
If you are not able to complete this account owner change or need help from our support team, please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Email address of the current account owner
- Email address of the future account owner
- Does the current account owner wish to stay on the account as a user?
Note: If you are part of an agency account, please be aware that we may ask for secondary confirmation from the current account owner or the person in charge of the billing information before making the change to the owner's email address.